Wherein...

A Misfit's Reflection on the World Around Him and Something About Beer.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Owl. Moon. Hops. Welcome Class of 2013!

Say hello to the new vines! Here comes the new growth of hops for this years home-brewing experiments.

         Here we have the "Owl and Moon" Hops; remember, we don't actually know what variety they are since we have never done a test on them. We suspect it is Magnum... maybe. perhaps this year I'll have them checked out and find out for reals.


This one is well established and will provide more than I will be able to use... unless I go ahead and make some enormously-hopped ales. This thing is taller than I am already.

Over in the side-yard we have the Goldings - Remus and Romulus. Remus already has some bold, leafy growth while Romulus is shooting up about a dozen stalks. I have done a little research on whether or not I should cut any of them back but I haven't made up my mind yet on whether it will be necessary for me.

Last year I was able to harvest enough Goldings to produce my Wet-Hopped Bourbon Oak ESB ("The Archdruid"). From what I've read and heard told about first year growth, that's a good indicator of a hardy plant. I'm looking forward to a good yield this year but I won't count on it until I start seeing the cones.
Remus


Cheers!
Romulus


No comments:

Post a Comment