Wherein...

A Misfit's Reflection on the World Around Him and Something About Beer.

Monday, May 21, 2012

DIY Mash/Lauter Tun Update

The Old News: I built a Mash Tun/Lauter Tun out of a drink cooler and a stainless steel faucet supply line.

The News: Upgraded my design by replacing the cheap spigot that comes with the cooler (and swapping the brass tee fitting on the lautering filter).

The parts are all brass, except for those washers acting as spacers and the O-rings.

The valve is a 3/8" FPT Ball Valve, oriented so that the handle opens when pulled down.

The outer end is a 3/8" Street Elbow with a 3/8" MIP (pipe thread) to 3/8"I.D. Barb fitting. This makes it easy to attach 3/8" tubing directly to the spigot.

Peek-a-boo pic of the Teflon Tape on the Tee.
the valve is attached to the cooler with a 3/8" Hex Nipple which passes through the cooler where the original plastic valve was. It is held in place on the inside by a 1/2" x 3/8" NPT Reducing Bushing.


The 5/8" Cut Washers and the #12 O-ring help to secure the spigot in place and prevent excess wiggle.

I also had to replace the 1/2 x 1/2 x 3/8 PEX Tee on the filter with a 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 PEX Tee due to the increased size of the valve. Enough Teflon Tape and a #9 O-ring help make a snug, leak resistant fit.

This upgrade was about $25. Brass parts ain't cheap, eh? But the easy to use valve and extra functionality of the direct tubing connection are worth it after having put the thing into use and fumbling with that bubble-button on the original.

Here are some additional pics from the trial run of this thing as I made my first All-Grain Homebrew with torrified wheat and pilsner malt.
Hot Cereal Time!
I. P. Freely Lives!










I made plenty of procedural mistakes, but everything turned out alright. I certainly learned some things about how to better utilize this new resource. I'm looking forward to many better-made brews in the future.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment